[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Backgammon yips

Posted By: Max Stockslager
Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024, at 7:08 p.m.

Over the course of my backgammon career I have experienced several prolonged periods where I basically lose the ability to play backgammon, i.e., despite playing/studying at about as much as I usually do and still being relatively focused while playing, I make all kinds of large blunders I would never make otherwise. There’s not one particular area of my game that is having problems, it just feels like my calibration is off for all types of decisions. This happens for maybe 2-3 week stretches once or twice a year.

I have always called this “the yips” after the effect where athletes (usually baseball and golf) suddenly lose the ability to play their sport due to some sort of mental block.

Does anyone else have experience with backgammon yips? Any insights on what causes this or strategies that have worked to move past them?

The good news is that these periods are usually followed by a big drop in PR when everything gets re-wired correctly, but it’s still frustrating while it’s happening.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.