[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Senary

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024, at 3:13 a.m.

In Response To: Advantages of base 6? (Bob Koca)

Around the year 2000, Don Thompson, who lived in Japan at the time, wrote up an article on (my pipcounting method) Naccel -- more succinctly than I had written it up myself originally for a German magazine.

Don reported that this inspired him to extrapolate some methods for counting shots and other probabilities, cataloguing reference positions, etc. -- whatever might apply to backgammon, in base 6. The details have faded from my memory, but as I recall Don said the speed was amazing and referred to his system as "Senary" or some version of the word.

Don sent me some of his material on floppy disks, and although it looked potentially very useful for shortcuts, I never got around to wading into it, and over the years I've sadly misplaced or lost it. Moreover, I lost touch with Don himself. I have been unable to find anything about Senary online other than a generic (non-backgammon) reference to it on Wikipedia.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.