[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

BMAB--I signed up but......

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 28 January 2015, at 6:06 p.m.

In Response To: BMAB--I signed up but...... (Rick Janowski)

I understand and appreciate your points, and agree with all. I only have a disagreement about one thing.

I believe you are probably correct that when two very skilled players (under 4 PR) are playing each other, the variance in their PR as a result by playing their specific opponents is tiny, but I don't think you are a bad enough player to see it from my perspective.

Players who play at 3 and 4 PR worse than, say, Mochy or Falafel or MCG or another of the top players out there, might well risk a blunder on a cube give or take to get back in the match when behind, or press an advantage.

I can well remember one Giant saying to me, "I know this cube you gave me is not a cube and it's a huge take but I really wish you hadn't given me this [expletive deleted] cube!"

It was a back game where I had 20 shots and I probably lose a gammon if I miss, and no way in hell is it a double, but I am down in the match and playing someone far better than I am and giving that cube is my best chance to beat him. And he agreed and even though he knew it was a huge take, he thought seriously about dropping and was made that I gave the cube.

The rest of the story is that he took, I hit, I won the match and the tournament, and he went around telling everyone what a horrible player I am and how lucky I was to beat him.

I had no defense: I did play poorly, technically, and I did get lucky. But at least I wasn't an asshole. And I walked away with the cash.

And that's what backgammon is all about, (not just PR) and if he or anyone else isn't gracious enough to know that and accept that, he should take up another game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.