[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Dual-Duel in San Antonio

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Tuesday, 23 December 2014, at 1:32 a.m.

In Response To: Dual-Duel in San Antonio (sita)

I see. Now that I think about it more, I realize that there aren't many plausible situations in which what I was proposing would make sense.

One potential situation would be something like this. I have a tall stack on the 6pt and a tall stack on the 8pt. I roll something. The computer sees that it's either 52 or 32 but can't tell which. A checker disappears from the midpoint and seems not to show up anywhere. What has happened is that the player has placed the checker on the 8pt or the 6pt, but because the stacks are so tall, the player chooses to start a second "layer" of checkers on the point, and the computer can't see this. If the player later moves checkers off the stack, you may be able to deduce what the roll was. But as I said, this is a rare occurrence.

I see now that if the program doesn't know what the current state of the board is, then it's going to be in trouble. And if it can't tell whether the roll was 31 or 11 and the play is consistent with either roll, then it's not going to be able to figure it out no matter how the rest of the game unfolds.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.