[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Bearing In Lesson--eye opener for most

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Thursday, 26 June 2014, at 5:47 p.m.

In Response To: Bearing In Lesson--eye opener for most (Taper_Mike)

Taper_Mike wrote:

We have seen time and time again that there is much more variance in a 1k rollout that there is in an XGR++ eval … I expect that the margins given by XGR++ are closer to what you will see in a long rollout than those produced by your 1k affair.

I wonder if your experience is skewed by excessive exposure to early-game rollouts. The advantage of a full rollout is that it increases the playing strength, and reduces the chances of systematic errors. For most early-game positions, playing strength doesn't seem to matter much if there is no immediate misplay. That's not true of all positions, and trap-play positions would be on my short list of positions where playing strength can make a difference. So while your prediction might be right in this particular case, I wouldn't regard it as confirmation of your general hypothesis, but merely an indication that playing strength actually doesn't matter that much in this particular position.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.